2nd Annual Hunt Recap

Information and updates about Concept Archery's annual hunts.

2nd Annual Hunt Recap

Postby concept_archer » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:33 pm

We all have some pics to post for sure. Jon took a real nice buck - green score was 136". Shawn also took a nice 6 point. Many large bucks as big if not bigger than Jon's was seen. Jeremy had a shot at one big buck but hit a branch. He also shot at a doe. I drew back on 3 bucks, two were dandys, and never got a shot off at any of them. I also came two steps away from leveling a pig but they winded me. A lot of good little stories in there for sure - a SALTY ham, one big tornado like thunderstorm, nice shower system, and I'm sure the guys can fill you in on more. I'll get some pics up very soon.
Attachments
group_photo.jpg
Group Photo
group_photo.jpg (79.1 KiB) Viewed 5427 times
jons_8pt_buck_2012.jpg
Jon's 136" 8pt buck
jons_8pt_buck_2012.jpg (62.79 KiB) Viewed 5427 times
shawns_6pt_buck_2012.jpg
Shawn's 6pt buck
shawns_6pt_buck_2012.jpg (83.35 KiB) Viewed 5427 times
shower_ring.jpg
Getting the ring of fire ready for showers
shower_ring.jpg (114.22 KiB) Viewed 5427 times
shower_system.jpg
A nice hot shower is enjoyed after 3 days of hunting.
shower_system.jpg (62.93 KiB) Viewed 5427 times
yooper.jpg
The Yoop, what more is there to say!
yooper.jpg (62.59 KiB) Viewed 5427 times
concept_archer
Site Admin

Re: stories

Postby deerhunter04 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:13 pm

cant wait. the bucks are starting to heat up here had the big one 20 yds and broadside last week but to dark to shoot i could have prolly hit him shooting off the arrow but he has no idea im hunting him and its just a matter of time before he messes up and Ill be there. Friday the temp is supposed to drop and have showers im planning on hopefully getting a shot at him if not the 2 other nice ones thats using the area
deerhunter04

Postby sryan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:42 pm

I'll start down sizing some pictures and loading up some stories. Yeah, I figured CA would start us off.
sryan

Postby renner17 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:25 am

Well, my stories aren't very exciting. Drew back on a doe 17 yards away but elbowed the tree and spooked her. Drew on a bobcat 40 yards away but he never got closer than that. Saw three other does and a small 6 pointer but didn't have a chance to shoot. Here's some pics to get you started.

100_1891.JPG
Vulture going after the remains of one of our deer.
100_1891.JPG (255.98 KiB) Viewed 5448 times

100_1916.JPG
New Invention: Hunting Hammock Blind.
100_1916.JPG (238.82 KiB) Viewed 5448 times

100_1923.JPG
Mini Yooper.
100_1923.JPG (245.52 KiB) Viewed 5448 times
renner17

Postby sryan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:23 am

Just to set the scene. Here's some pics from around our ridge-top camp.
Attachments
IMG_7058.jpg
IMG_7058.jpg (235.36 KiB) Viewed 5441 times
IMG_7061.jpg
IMG_7061.jpg (221.42 KiB) Viewed 5441 times
IMG_7062.jpg
IMG_7062.jpg (228.77 KiB) Viewed 5441 times
sryan

Postby sryan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:25 am

Here's a few more camp area pics
Attachments
IMG_7070.jpg
IMG_7070.jpg (238.44 KiB) Viewed 5440 times
IMG_7069.jpg
IMG_7069.jpg (229.36 KiB) Viewed 5440 times
IMG_7066.jpg
The shooting range down this path
IMG_7066.jpg (243.35 KiB) Viewed 5440 times
sryan

Postby renner17 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:59 am

We can't forget about one of my favorite hunting stories. I got to witness SR shoot an immature bird DRT (Dead Right There) on the last day. He made an awesome shot and it never had a chance. :o Unfortunately we were not able to save any of the remains for eating.

The stalk, steadying the nerves, the shot. If my memory serves me right, this bird had previously evaded CA and someone else in our group. Maybe SR would like to fill in more of the details from his perspective? :?
renner17

Postby sryan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:37 pm

Ok, I'm hoping CA will just start a new topic with ACTUAL hunting stories, so I'll will provide the story Renner speaks of here.
After last years hunt, finding out that we could use gun powder and lead on pigs with the license we had, some of us decided to bring along such a tool,...just in case. We all certainly would prefer to arrow these invasive nuisance animals. But between the wardens' mention of "I don't care what you use!" comment and Yooper's mention of "the boogie bear" we were taking no chances and arming ourselves to the maximum extent of practicality...just in case (btw, all 100% legal). Well throughout the week, pig sightings were slim to none. And Slim was sliding quickly out of sight down into the "holler". So after camp was broken down, some of us got the itch to heat up some lead. Earlier in the week, some 'Widow maker" trees were removed by the camp resident logger and farmer. That left us with a nice round target on a multi-stem widow maker stump (seen right-of-center in photo above with green/white/orange tent) and a nice flat stump as well. One of the lead heating tools had the number 4 and then another 4 stamped in the side. As mentioned by Renner, CA and farmer were depositing heated lead low and to the left with multiple deposits. Nice group, but off of center. They claimed the sights needed adjusting. I picked up the tool and deposited one piece of lead to dead center of target. Absolutely dead-nutz center. Then camp resident farmer placed three remaining eggs that didn't make the breakfast cut out on the flat stump. Once again, those two grouped low and left. I deposited the remaining piece of lead which, contrary to Renners description, was a very practical placement. I broke, scrambled AND fried that egg. But I also vaporized it so , unfortunately, there were no remains for eating. In the words of camp guest , Bryan Taylor, that immature bird "ran straight down". Was an epic hunt. OK, ok lets get down to the real hunting stories now!
sryan

Re: 2nd Annual Hunt Recap

Postby concept_archer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:35 pm

Us NJ folks personally think those guys in Wisconsin sight there guns in high right. What's the reasoning, we're not sure.
concept_archer
Site Admin

Re: 2nd Annual Hunt Recap

Postby sryan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:02 pm

I'm waiting to hear what excuses you have for the performance in the High Noon Archery Showdown. Sore Shoulder? Mismatched arrows? Missing decelerator? Barking spiders? In any event, you called for the showdown so you don't really have an excuse.

My 2nd Annual Hunt Story #1:
Thursday afternoon in camp, I noticed a beautifully crested C.A.S. (Cliff Touroo) custom Gold Tip XT Hunter arrow just laying around camp. Just a single one. I knew it was Jons because I always admired that set of arrows he had. So I said "Here you go Jon, this was laying around". He informed me that particular arrow had been misfired in his basement, cracked on a concrete wall and cut down an inch or so. He just brought it along to have in the "extra arrows" stash. I measured it against my arrows and it was exactly the same length. It was also the same make, model, and spine of my arrows. Jon said "Merry Christmas". So I screwed in a broadhead and placed it in my quiver for that evenings hunt. I climbed the tree that afternoon in a new spot that I had scouted via Google Earth and other various satellite methods. Many times, these spots don't turn out as good as they look from outer space. Go figure. But this one looked just as I imagined. It was a spot between a food plot and two draws that came to a point. I was situtated right in between just 15 yards off an obvious game trail. I was starting to get desperate as I had seen next to no game so far that week. But I was encouraged by this spot. I checked the wind, picked my tree, and climbed on up. Not 5 minutes after settling down, I noticed this 6 pointer moseying along the edge of the food plot just browsing the daylight away. I was watching him for a while and was about to text Yooper to ask him if I should shoot it or not if the opportunity presented itself. Before I got the chance, the buck turned and wlked right into the woods on the game trail. I love it when a plan comes together! But just as he entered the woods, he made a beeline for,...ME! I was situated on a down slope with the plot being the high side. As he turned towards me, he was only a couple feet below me, eye level to eye level. I was prepared for that however. I was already standing, bow up and ready, with my release clipped on. I was dead still as he strolled casually to my tree, sniffed my pull-up rope and stopped. I looked cautiously over the guard rail of the Summit climber. I thought I was busted. I must have left some sort of stink on that rope. He didn't seem to care even if I did leave a stink. He turned and headed back towards the game trail. Here was my chance. Fueled by adrenaline, I curled back the 70# Believer limbs swiftly and silently. As he reached about 10 yards away, I let out a stopping grunt which sounded more like a sheep bleating. Oh well, it did the job. The buck turned to his left enough to give me a nice quartering away exposure and the arrow was away. I watched him blaze off and crash through the woods straight away from me. My phone was low on juice so I made a quick call to my wife and then texted the guys to inform them the buck was arrowed. I was careful not to say the buck was down because I hadn't recovered it yet. After I calmed down a bit. I climbed down to look for my beautiful new blue crested arrow,...hopefully coated with a nice shade of bright red. No such luck. I saw some blood, but no arrow. How could that not have passed through? Oh well, the fun begins. Here's where I made a mistake. I lost track of time between when I shot and the start of my tracking effort. But I was on the trail nonetheless. And what's done is done. The blood trail was just OK for the first 30 yards. All of a sudden the trail picked up,...like crazy! I went from crouching and searching for blood specks, to walking comfortably upright on a massive blood trail. I was about 50 yards from the shot when my fears were confirmed. About 15 yards to my left, a deer burst out of the brush and sped away. I new I rushed it. I turned a quick track job into a chore that it didn't need to be. I pulled out my GPS, marked my spot, and left the woods. I hiked back to the truck disgusted with myself. I sat near where Kurt was going to meet up with me at dark and waited for almost two hours. When darkness fell, I met with Kurt and told him the story. He didn't hear that I shot, because he didn't receive a good cell signal at his blind location. After discussing my options, we decided to go looking for my deer. After all, it now had about 2 and half hours. After getting back to my blood trail, Kurt carefully examined the blood for bubbles and his findings were inconclusive. When we reached the spot where the blood picked up, the bubbles appeared. He was confident that with bubbles and a trail as strong as this was, we would find the deer shortly. And guess what? The deer I spooked was not my deer. Not 20 yards further from that spot I marked, was my buck. Dead as a doornail. Kurt guessed he was dead for a couple hours. A quick gut and drag and we were back in the truck heading for camp.
It was a satisfying end to a hunt, but there was something missing. Call me sentimental, but I wanted that arrow back. I couldn't figure out where it went. So the next afternoon I went back to the spot and carefully looked near the impact area. After a few minutes of head scratching, I saw my broadhead buried in the root flare of a tree. It was buried so deep I couldn't get it loose. So the arrow DID pass through. But the arrow was still missing. It started to click in my head what happened. Remember the scarce blood trail that suddenly got massive? Well I figured that the arrow broke off and traveled with the buck slowly working it's way out. All the while 'plugging' the hole allowing only a little blood to flow. When the arrow finally fell free, the blood flowed freely. I retraced the blood trail and found the arrow exactly where the blood trail picked up. Now the hunt was complete. Well maybe not. I took the arrow home with me and cut off the half inch of damage from the broadhead breaking off. I glued in a new insert and that beautiful arrow is ready to fly again.
sryan

Next

Return to Concept Hunts