2012 Concept Archery's 2nd Annual Hunt

Information and updates about Concept Archery's annual hunts.

2012 Concept Archery's 2nd Annual Hunt

Postby concept_archer » Wed May 02, 2012 5:17 am

The hunt is on!

Slyamore WMA, just outside Calico Rock, Arkansas
Arrival Saturday, October 13, 2012
Hunting: Sunday, October 14through Friday, October 19
Departure: Sunday, October 20

For more information see our Arkansas Hunt page:
http://conceptarchery.com/events/2nd_Annual_Concept_Archery_Hunt_2012.html
concept_archer
Site Admin

Re: 2012 Concept Archery's 2nd Annual Hunt

Postby sryan » Fri May 25, 2012 5:29 pm

I'll have to wait and see how many people are coming with me, but I may have to come down a day early with all the areas I've mapped out to scout. Hoping the Yooper is able to finagle his work schedule to be able to attend again. If anyone is seriously considering joining us in Arkansas, send me a PM and I'll try to get the appropriate maps emailed to you with all our notes from last year. Well, maybe not ALL our notes ;)
sryan

Postby sryan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:01 pm

T-minus 4 months to "CA 2 - Return of the Bowhunters"

T-minus 3 months to bowhunting in Wisconsin.

(Wipe drool)

Where's my buddy Jacob? We haven't heard from him in a while. He's probably furiously weaving paracord right now. Hope all are doing well and solidifying arrangements for the Concept Hunt and bowhunting in your respective states (countries).
sryan

Postby concept shooter 32 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:50 am

Oh I been here. Just ain't replying much. To be honest with you, I haven't be making many lately. Kurts working on my bow so I'll be practicing all summer. Can' believe we're half way in the year! Won't be long and we will be pulling Shawns on slammers! :lol:
concept shooter 32

Postby concept_archer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:06 am

the hunt is fastly approaching and will be here soon. looking forward to it for sure - i want to see some dead AR bacon this year!

i too haven't been posting much but have been tinkering and working CA behind the scenes quite a bit. looking at possibly carrying fletcher releases and have been experimenting with some of their releases. really liking the "insider" release and for the first time i might be shooting a string loop. been setting up a mini with a code red and putting a fair amount of hours into it experimenting.

riser machining - the Christian Believers are getting a make over and some minor changes to the Mini29 - both will be lighter in weight, other specs will stay the same.

rests - really liking the ripcord code reds and we've been setting up quite a few of them. as with everything in archery there are pros and cons, and comparing them to the QAD's i'm liking them better on faster shooting bows such as the Mini at 70lbs. they drop faster and the internal brake to prevent bounce backs is important as well. the QAD has a thumb lever to raise the launcher which i like better and easier to load your arrow. both are still very good quality full containment rests. i'm still a big fan of the limbsaver dropaway as well - solid, well built, fast on the fall, quite teflon for the arrow to draw on, and pull cord out of the way. It seems most are looking for full containment though.

anyways i'm sure we'll have some new stuff to mill over in AR as we have been working on a lot of your bows.
concept_archer
Site Admin

Postby sryan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:15 pm

I'm looking forward to the results of your experimentation CA. I am thinking of a new release myself or perhaps a backup. Have not "pulled the trigger" on anything yet so your Fletcher reviews will be useful. I'm also looking forward to all the new Concept makeovers.

Speaking of new stuff to look over in AR, I am in contact with a member of Outreach Outdoors who is located in Little Rock but hunts up near Horseshoe Bend. He is interested in checking out Concept Bows and he wants to show us/let us try his new line of treestands, climbing sticks, life lines, harnesses etc. He wants to know how guys from all over the country like his stuff. I'm not sure how we all differ in opinion. But I can say he can't get a better variety of accents ;) . I'm not sure if he plans to hunt with us or just stop by. I'll let you know how that progresses.
sryan

Postby concept_archer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:39 pm

Shawn,
That sounds good and another visitor at camp is always welcome. It was good seeing some of our shooters along the way last year - the Trame's and Scott Sherman (the best slim jim and sausage maker!).

I just bought a 19 foot camper and may think about pulling it out with us. It sleeps 5 and needs a little work, but not much. It's a 1974 camper, but overall in good shape and when a family member sells it for $150, well it's hard to pass up. Mostly needs some bulbs, lenses, and the hot water heater or tank to have hot showers. Cold showers are a go, propane stove works, small a/c unit if Jon and I hook up solar panels?, and overall in good shape with no leaks and lots of tread on the tires. Might be nice too in case it rains? I'm 50/50 on taking it and we will see what Jon thinks once I pick it up and he looks over it. Might be hard putting the small chest freezer in it or the water drum, though that can go in the back of the truck? Barking spiders and Yoopers "midnight chainsaw" are the only two other issues I can think of, but I think we would get by. We could always put Jon and Yooper in a tent.

The releases, I'm experimenting more today with another customers bow. Adjustable trigger seems nice and also not having a rod always protruding out from your wrist is a plus. Not wild about the double velcro strap around the wrist but over all, a very nice release. I'm testing two models, but think we will be carrying the Fletcher "Insider" model.
concept_archer
Site Admin

Postby sryan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:52 pm

19' Camper huh? Interesting. Just make sure those solar panels get attached ;) . Phone charging and freezer is super nice to have on a hunting trip. The water barrel was quite a nice feature too. Would the camper limit camp site options? It would be less equipment to bring for you NJ guys (no need for tent, stove, etc.). Let us know what you decide. I know we have quite a bit of time yet.

I picked up a 12'x12' canopy a month ago so we'll have extra rain shelter when in camp.
sryan

Postby concept_archer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:10 pm

Yes without electric and a freezer, I think it would be best to tow the little trailer with the solar panels. It would also limit us on where we could camp but I think our old spot would still be accessible with maybe a little chainsaw work. We plan on getting there in daylight this year. The Clark's church site would be an option, but more open.

I think we all had some success over where we were, but if you guys prefer to be closer to the "grocery store" well I can still check out my ridge for pig sign. Yooper saw pigs in the food plots twice where he was at too, so I think for pigs, it might be the area?
concept_archer
Site Admin

Postby sryan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:32 am

It doesn't matter to me where we camp. Our vehicles will get us to where we need to be with no problems. I am excited to scout some new spots too,...somewhere between the "grocery store" and the "wedding chapel". And you're right. Your area was pig area whereas the grocery store area had greater deer traffic.
I'd like to get there earlier too,...and hunt the extra day. Speaking of Yooper, I'm gonna give him a call and see if he can go.
sryan

Next

Return to Concept Hunts